History of the Nowa Huta Branch
The Nowa Huta Branch of the Archaeological Museum in Kraków is located in a manor and park complex in Branice. The village was first mentioned in written sources in 1250, when Bolesław the Chaste gave the voivode of Kraków Klemens, the son of Sulisław, the right to hunt for beavers in these areas. The archaeological relics, on the other hand, confirm the existence of settlements there as early as in the Neolithic period (c. 6000 BC).
In Branice, a late Renaissance defensive and residential manor house (a storage building from c. 1600) surrounded by a park has been preserved. The building on a rectangular plan consists of three storeys: basement, ground floor and first floor. The roof of the building is enclosed by a decorative attic with arcades and crenellations. The facade is covered with sgraffito decorations. The following elements have been preserved in the interiors: a richly decorated fireplace and a portal by Santi Gucci.
At the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, a one-storey classicist manor house of the Badenis family was built next to the storage building. In the vicinity, there are now the remains of the landscape layout with a park and utility buildings (a granary from 1706, living quarters for servants and several separate basements).